Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thing #23 - Still "Getting Started"

I'm not going to say "I'm done" because I know I still have a lot to figure out and I need to go back to redo several of my postings once I better understand what I was supposed to be doing. I started this process with "very limited" technological skills and I'm exiting it with "limited" technological skills. Many of the things were too hard for me to figure out on my own which led to high levels of frustration for me. Several of them required hours of exploration time that were not readily available to me when I'm also teaching full-time during the day. It would have been better if I had done this over the summer months when I would have had more time and been less stressed when attempting to comprehend technologies new to me. Here are my responses to the questions posed in Thing #23:

1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
Oddly enough, I think the things I had the most difficulty with are the ones I found most interesting and potentially useful. They include TeacherTube, Podcasts, Photo Stories and Image Generator. I am definately going to keep trying until I master them because I know they will add a lot to my effectiveness as a teacher/librarian.

2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
I realize that I need to update my technology skills to remain competitive and relevant to students in this ever-changing world. Adding these 23 Things to my personal tool kit will make me more effective and efficient as a teacher and/or librarian.
3. Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
This program contained so many new concepts that I had never even heard of before. I was very impressed by the high level of computer literacy of the majority of my classmates. Unfortunately, that only made me feel all the more ignorant and inadequate.
4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
I think these 23 Things would make a great in-service training for all teachers if it could be spread out over an entire school year to allow more time to comprehend, practice and master/apply each thing before moving on to the next thing.
5. If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate?
I think I need to retake this first one before I attempt any others. But once I master 23 Things, I'll definately be back for more!
6. How would you describe your learning experience in ONE WORD or in ONE SENTENCE, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities?
Challenging but necessary!

1 comment:

VWB said...

congratulations on getting to the end..I know it has been a bumpy ride for you, but all of us struggle with this technology in our own ways!
But you realized one of the "essential elements" of this whole process...that we must get up to speed with technology for the sake of our kids!