Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thing #12 - Rollyo

I think this tool would be helpful for advanced web surfers who are familiar enough with all the search engines/websites pertaining to their subjects of interest, and who therefore can narrow their searches down to just those sites they feel are tried and true. These UHCL classes have just opened my eyes to the fact that there are zillions of search engines and websites out there! It'll be a while before I'm ready to start narrowing down my search engine choices. I can see, however, the value of focusing your searches using just reliable sources (once they are known). I did set up a trial searchroll for students to use when investigating insects, using some of the websites listed in my school's webpage. Customized, pre-screened, safe searchrolls for student use seem to me to be a useful application of the Rollyo tool. One concern I have about Rollyo is that when I did a search using my newly created insect searchroll, my results included several boxes of "sponsored links" that were sales pitches for various products (including used and refurbished fitness equipment!!). I don't like that!

http://rollyo.com/search.html?q=butterfly+life+cycle&sid=366437

No comments: