Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Thing #15 - Web 2.0, Library 2.0 & the Future of Libraries

I read through several of the perspectives listed and the one that resonated most with me was Dr. Wendy Schultz's article on "To a Temporary Place in Time". I was intrigued by her observations that the libraries of tomorrow need to become more like "mind gyms", "idea labs", and "knowlege spas" as opposed to the old model of collections of documents and books. I agree with her that this is the direction we need to be heading, but it will take time as there are still a lot of mindsets that need changing to make this happen. The biggest one for me is to get up to speed on all these new technologies that I'm just now being exposed to via these 23 things activity. As painful as it is for me to make room in my brain for all these new concepts, I understand that it is a necessity for the library and librarian of tomorrow to meet the needs of our future customers.

No comments: